7   H A R B O U R  S T R E E T. P L O C K T O N.

   
 
   
 
A R E A
 

Plockton in Ross-shire is considered to be one of the most scenic villages in Scotland. It is a paradise for  painters and photographers.   It is situated in a sheltered corner on the shores of Loch Carron and is so sheltered that visitors will see palm trees growing in the gardens there! Loch Carron is a sea loch which opens out into the Inner Sound of Skye.

At the end of the eighteenth century, Parliament decreed that, “safe anchorage should be found” and surveys were done around the coast of Great Britain. Loch Carron and the water around the spit of land, was said to provide excellent anchorage for the increasing cross Atlantic trade.   In 1801 the first plans for a new village to service the anchorage, and to be called Plockton, were drawn on the property owned by Mr. Hugh Innes.  The present day village follows these plans very closely. As you will see, unlike much of today’s local planning, aesthetically, Plockton is a tribute to those early town planners.  Number 7 was one of the first houses to be built in Plockton after the original thatched cottages were pulled down in 1850. Directly across what was once the “village green” you will see one of the original thatched cottages, recently re-thatched and refurbished inside.

         
         
View across the loch. Plockton Holidays Scotland   Thatched Cottage.  Plockton Holidays Scotland  
Eilean Donan Castle.  Plockton Holidays Scotland
View across the loch to the castle
and the 'Craigs'.
  Thatched cottage in the village   Nearby Eilean Donan Castle, (9 miles from Plockton.)

 

The house at Number 7 is on the main street, which faces the loch and Duncraig Castle amongst the hills and crags on the other side.   The house is known amongst the older locals as Murrachan’s house – a deeply religious man who liked his whisky but would never take a drink on the Sabbath.  One anecodote told by the locals, was that on many Saturdays, his visitors did not want to stop the ceildigh (a Scottish term for a musical get together or party) at 12 midnight and so they would put back the hands on mantle clock back by one hour each time he was not looking.

The name Plockton comes from the Gaelic word “Ploc” meaning a lumpish promontory and the English words “Plock town”.  The population of Plockton varies according to the time of year. During the winter there are around three hundred residents but during the summer months this number increases threefold.

Duncraig Castle is a young castle by Scottish standards.  It was built in the 1860’s by one of the Mathieson family who were the owners of the wealthy shipping firm Jardine Mathieson. The firm traded in the Far East, where they played an important role in the opium trade. During the war the Castle was used as a Naval Hospital and more recently was run for many years as a successful domestic science college.

For ten years its status was in limbo, while those responsible for it - The National Trust and the County Council, failed to find a use for its many facilities. A few years ago however, it has been sold to four families from the South who intend to develop it. Now, three families have left and only one family remains and continues to renovate the Castle.

As well as having such a picturesque setting, Plockton is an excellent centre for exploring Skye and the Western Highlands, from Knoydart to Torridon.  The community is a vibrant and energetic one, and visitors to Plockton and the surrounding area will find a Highland welcome awaiting them.

 
         
         
   
Highland cows cooling off
  The original cottage at Number 7   View from the pub at the Plockton Hotel
 
 
 
 
 
Website by PG&PG and Redseed Design.............